Monday, September 7, 2009

For Labor Day

Have a "Happy Labor Day!" and enjoy my first and final use of an exclamation mark to kick off a sure-to-be-sporadic blogging career. In honor of the day off work (well, school) I'm giving you the condensed version of my favorite Soviet band's ode to manual labor. I include the original Russian for the overachievers and a link to the band's wikipedia page for the uninitiated.
 
Надоело ходить на работу,
Каждый день к девяти на работу.
Я нашёл выход: я хочу быть кочегаром, кочегаром, кочегаром,
Я хочу быть кочегаром, кочегаром, кочегаром,
Работать сутки через трое, через трое,через трое,
Я хочу быть кочегаром, кочегаром, кочегаром...
                              Кино, from 46 (1983)

I'm sick of going to work,
Every day at nine to work.
I found a way out: I want to be a stoker, a stoker, a stoker,
I want to be a stoker, a stoker, a stoker,
Work round the clock a full three times, three times, three times,
I want to be a stoker, a stoker, a stoker...
                               (trans. Michael Wasiura)

Listen here. 'Kochegarom' follows 'Selva' (also worth a listen) at the 2:50 mark.


1 comment:

  1. Hahaha...welcome to the blogging world! In honor of labor day, I went to school and worked for 8 damn hours. Anyway, hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete